The Compassion Experiment Day 169



This weekend was Critters Gone Country at the OMHS, and though the weather chose not to cooperate fully, the damp weather couldn't dampen our spirits.
This year there were a ton of vendors, including a Vegetarian/Vegan vendor that I completely missed!
We spent a lot of $$$, tried to win a giant scratching post, and had a good time.
Everyone worked really hard getting this thing together, and they all did an amazing job.
No word on how much was raised, but I expect that it was a good year.
Last year at Critters, the OMHS had to be closed to the public, but this year, the place was buzzing. People were everywhere (for better, or worse!), and all the cats in Room C got a lot of attention, making all the hard work we did to get it ready, worth it.



Speaking of worth it:
I was in Room C, getting cuddles from some amazing cats (see: Crosby, Leo and Avalanche), when a lady came into the room and gave me a look.
She said: "You're a volunteer here, right?"
I said: "Actually, I work here, but I do volunteer as well".
"That's what I thought," she said. "You recommended a cat for us, do you remember? His name was Willy."
"Oh, I remember Willy, for sure. You have a dog and were looking for a companion for him."
"That's right," she said. "Willy settled in right away, now he and the dog love each other, and play all the time."
"No kidding?"
"It's great," she said. "I had never had a cat before, and I was a little anxious about it, but he has been amazing."
"So, you're happy with him?"
"Oh yes, absolutely. I love having him around, we all do."
"That's so great," I said.
"I just thought you'd like to know, because you were the one who pointed him out for us."
"I thought he would be perfect for you."
"He is. I just wanted to say thank you."
"No problem, I'm happy to hear everything worked out so well."
She said good-bye, and left the room.
Thinking back, I totally remember Willy, and how much I liked him, and hoped I would find a good home for him.
Just one of the ways that volunteering has helped bring joy to my life.

Here is a great new recipe!

Aloo Gobi (A compassionate treat!)

You will need:
1 large onion
1 inch fresh ginger, grated
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 large potato
1 1/2 cups cauliflower, cut into pieces

In a large pan, on medium heat, saute the onions, ginger, and garlic in oil until the onions are see through.
Add the garam masala, cumin, salt and tumeric. Saute for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
Add the stock, potatoes, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the cauliflower, and cook for 10 more minutes.
Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Makes 4 servings.

B saw this article in the star and thought it was important to pass along.
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/870130--hwy-427-ramp-reopens-after-81-pigs-die-in-rollover?bn=1
I guess the question is, does it matter that 1/3 of the pigs died on the way to slaughter? No, they were going to die anyways, the tragedy here is that people are eating pigs at all. It's not the year 1010, it's the year 2010, and we're not hunters anymore, (well, maybe bargain hunters). It just seems so sad that people still seem so dependent on meat, when there are so many choices out there. Everyone has a choice now, and you don't have to be rich to eat well, just be moralistic and creative, and you'll never feel like you are missing something.
End of lecture.

Did my first paid shift at Cats Castle, and it was a breeze. Great place, great people, and the perfect place to board a cat if you are going out of town and don't have family, or a reliable babysitter for your loved ones. Check them out today! www.catscastle.ca

We were sent this from Liz at Sugar Ridge:
Just in case you're in the mood to come back soon; we're having a special for Oct 15-17 of $260 for the weekend which includes your entrance to the Wye Marsh and dinner Saturday (as well as 2 breakfasts of course). If you can't make it tell your friends!
What an amazing deal, it would be really picturesque this time of year!

Another week has passed, and things just keep getting better.
Why not come along for the ride too?
You'll be happy you did, trust us.

Today's Parallel's 'Of Wisdom':
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein

Animals saved today: 4
Animals saved to date: 665


Note: we realize these numbers are not a true representation, but in our minds, this helps to visualize the damage we are causing when we eat animal by-products.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladybird Animal Sanctuary

Top 10 Reasons I’m Not Surprised I Don’t Have a Girlfriend.

Best Metal'ish albums of 2022