The Compassion Experiment (Day 11)

The Compassion Experiment: is a blog about converting to a more compassionate lifestyle.

Well, after doing so well for a whole 10 days, yesterday was a bit of a toughie.

B says:

Day 10 was a bad vegan day. Which is sad, because we aren't even sticking to a vegan diet 100% of the time, but even still, yesterday I crashed and I crashed hard.

After my unappetizing lunch of yet another salad and peanut butter
sandwich, with yet another curry flavoured rice and veggie dish looming on the horizon for dinner, I began to hate this experiment of ours. My hatred built throughout the afternoon and reached its peak when I got home and saw the blasted curry rice dish all ready to go into the frying pan. Loud, irrational words broke free from inside of me: "I CAN'T EAT THAT! I HATE THIS!" Mike listened to me for a minute or so and then proposed a walk around the neighborhood, where I proceeded to rant and rave. I wanted greasy, fast food. I wanted cheese. I wanted ice cream. And I definitely did not want vegetables of any kind.

So off we went to Licks where we had Nature burgers, and I got my cheese fix with a poutine. And then we went to Coldstone for ice cream, and had signature creations that should really be called heaven-on-earth, because that's what they are. And I felt complete and utter bliss. My stomach was full for what felt like the first time in days. I didn't even feel guilty - not until later that is. But even then, I have to admit that I didn't feel that guilty, just content. And this morning I feel ready to tackle
the vegan-dragon once again.

I don't know if what I experienced was some kind of withdrawal or what, but it sure felt like it. It made me realize that this is going to be a lot harder than I thought. But that's ok - we're up for the challenge.


It would be easy to say things are going great, and that we have the will power of monks, but we don't and it would be a complete lie to say so. We want this experiment to be transparent, and for everyone to see the growing pains, as much as the successes, which, until yesterday, had been on the up and up.
Lucky for us, we aren't striving for perfection, but instead we are trying to make a difference, every day. But, the reality is, everyday is new, and different, and poses new challenges, and sometimes we fall on our face, but in this case, falling into a tub of Coldstone Creamery wasn't the worst thing to happen, I do admit.
I think maybe we need to watch Food Inc again, or maybe get The Face On Our Plate, from the library again. If you have not heard of these, we highly recommend them, because they are real eye-openers, and should be required viewing for everyone.

Animals saved today: 2
Animals saved to date: 31


Note: we realize these numbers are not a true representation, but in our minds, this helps to visualize the damage we are causing by eating animal by-products.

Todays Parallel's 'Of Wisdom':
When one person suffers a delusion, it is called insanity, when many people suffer a delusion, it is called religion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladybird Animal Sanctuary

Top 10 Reasons I’m Not Surprised I Don’t Have a Girlfriend.

Best Metal'ish albums of 2022