The Compassion Experiment (Day 59)



The Compassion Experiment: Words Put Into Action.

It's nice to know you're not alone sometimes.

In response to yesterday's rant:

B says: "I love the blog today and the photo too - what a cool idea! Gotta get me one of those tubs...one day. Quite the rant you had on the blog, but it's all very very true. Yesterday during one of our quiet moments I had the realization that my life could have gone two ways. I have always liked nice things, and was to be honest, quite materialistic at one point in my life. I spent all my money on clothes and my hair, and fantasized about working part time if at all thanks to some rich, unknown husband. That could just as easily been have my path as what I have now.
It scares me.
OK, so now I have old clothes and crap hair, but I also have a lot of things I believe in like reducing waste and expenses and resources, eating organically and compassionately, giving back, and so on. I still struggle with my love of nice things, which is why I toggle back and forth so much on moving, but in the end I always come back to this: we don't need anything more than what we already have. You and I are so fortunate - and so are the babies - I'd rather just be grateful for what we have and focus on giving back instead.
I'm glad my life took this turn instead of another.
Stick to your guns."

Clearly that 'unknown rich husband' thing didn't work out.
Sorry about that.

From award winning textile artiste, and good friend Ixchel Suarez:
"Your blog is sooo committed to stand for your beliefs...It is so important nowadays to think about the animals as we care for our selves. It demonstrates the inner soul of the HUMAN being (if there is still one)".

That it does, Ixchel, that it does.

From newly minted Adam:
"What an intense blog!"

Yes, that is the point.

Thanks for the responses everyone, and keep'em coming!


Words from a Meat Eater:


Do vegetables feel?
Do they squirm,
And squeal,
As you peel,
That potato,
Or carrot,
Or cut up that broccoli?
Do they scream for mercy,
But much too softly...






As promised, here is an amazing couscous salad recipe:

Compassionate Couscous Salad:

You will need:

1 1/2 cups instant couscous
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small red onion
1 large red pepper
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 chopped pecans, walnuts or peanuts
3 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cumin

1. In a heated wok, or frying pan, add the turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, cumin and couscous. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover, and cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
2.Transfer the couscous to a large serving bowl, use fork to fluff. Set aside.
3.In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, brown sugar and salt to taste.
4.To the couscous, add the chickpeas, onion, pepper and raisins. Add the dressing and stir it up. Garnish with nuts, and serve.

I guess that's it.
Have the best Tuesday possible.
Tune in tomorrow for...
Well, please just tune in tomorrow!

Today's Parallel's 'Of Wisdom':
"You are what you eat."
If that's the case, one day I'm going to wake up looking like a carrot.

Animals saved today: 6
Animals saved to date: 185


Note: we realize these numbers are not a true representation, but in our minds, this helps to visualize the damage we are causing when we eat animal by-products.

The Compassion Experiment T-Shirts
Order One Today!
Or two, or three or one hundred.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladybird Animal Sanctuary

Top 10 Reasons I’m Not Surprised I Don’t Have a Girlfriend.

Best Metal'ish albums of 2022